This week I consulted a home customer in consolidating several iTunes music libraries that were scattered among different Macs and external hard drives. Combining the music files created a massive library of 25,000 songs requiring 195 GB of disk space. I was hired to perform the consolidation to enable to customer to use her iPod Touch to remotely manage the family music collection (a la FrontRow). The following error message came up on screen during the testing phase.
I addressed the corrupted library problem by following steps on a MacRumors web site.
* Open iTunes, and go to File->Export Library
* Save the library somewhere in your hardrive
* Complete close your iTunes
* Go to your music folder, open the iTunes folder and move to another location both files: the Itunes Library data file and the iTunes Music Library.xml DO NOT REMOVE THE FOLDERS
* Open iTunes again, and it should show up that your library is empty, now, go to File->Import and load the file you exported in the second step.